NSW Water Bill payment 2 months after Lease ended?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Monica415

18 May 2020
I transfered my lease to a new tenant on 22 March 2020. All dues were settled and got my bond back.

However the new tenant supposedly received a water bill dated from 20 Jan - 20 Apr 2020 now. The new tenant expects me to pay for 2 months use, however I do not have access to the reciept. Informally the agent has also requested that I should pay.

Am I required to pay now that I do not have a lease agreement ? It is a substantial amount and I do not wish to pay more as the agent had already deducted my bond for end of lease cleaning, repairs, etc. Why did they not include the water bill then?

Atticus

6 February 2019
I think the agent has stuffed up... Shouldn't be yours OR the new tenants problem..

Also you should only be billed for excess water usage if the place had a separate meter... Not for water supply charges or sewage service charges

Monica415

18 May 2020
I think the agent has stuffed up... Shouldn't be yours OR the new tenants problem..

Also you should only be billed for excess water usage if the place had a separate meter... Not for water supply charges or sewage service charges
Thank you Atticus,
I insisted on the bill, and it turned out to be much less that what they initially asked for. They said there was a misunderstanding with the amount and I had to pay just the excess of $35. So I happily paid.

Reactions: Atticus

Atticus

6 February 2019
Maybe they were trying one on! ... Anyway, good outcome.. Thanks for the feedback