VIC Use of image and context in TV series

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

barrybounce

11 March 2021
A friend notified me that a TV series currently showing on demand on an Australian channel, which was produced in the US, has a photo of me popup for several seconds in a group of seemingly random photos of people and is associated with text that implies that I am a criminal (or that all of the people in the photos are criminals). I have a copy of the actual original image file that is exactly the one and it looks as though the production people just pulled it randomly from the internet and used it in their show. It looks expensive and unlikely to be worth the trouble to go down the defamation path because I have not incurred any particular monetary damage, but could incur reputational damage or even subconscious bias - I am leaning towards my own letter demanding the series be removed but am seeking a general opinion of how this may play out?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Much depends on the facts and circumstances.

You can always ask.
But truth be, they're not very likely to do a re-edit (which costs a bomb) without a court order to do so.

Reactions: David Frank Law