NSW Undefended threshold hearing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dfc007

26 February 2022
Hello, I do not understand what happened in a recent family court hearing and I’m hoping someone can help me.

I filed a final order application, the respondent did not respond. In Dec 21, the respondent was ordered by a registrar to respond and did not. The court then ordered a ‘undefended threshold hearing’ on 10 February 22, in which the senior registrar did not know the hearing was ordered to be a undefended hearing. So then another hearing was held yesterday and the registrar ordered the respondent to respond to the application, effectively ignoring the fact an order was already made and not complied with, there were no applications to extend the time to respond. I don’t understand how a undefended threshold hearing was ordered but now we are going back in the process because why? My argument to the court was a decision on the issue of the type of hearing has been made, the application for finals orders was made in May 21. He made the order anyway.

Dfc007

26 February 2022
Thank you, yes parenting orders. Yes the respondent was present at every hearing and to make it worse, the last time a application for final orders was made in 2018, the respondent did not respond in the allowed time and then was ordered to respond but did not! And to get technical all up the respondent has been asked to produce documents on the court record 9 times, each time hearings have been delayed as a direct result of the delays and not following orders. The latest registrar made an order that I could apply for costs without me asking, I asked him to remove that order because the respondent has no money!