Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW Trademark and IP Australia - Avoiding IP Infringement?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by asbindia, 20 October 2015.

1. asbindia

asbindia Member

Hi,

I am in the process of starting a new business and require some help to ensure that I am not infringing on any IP.

In the past I worked for a company that has now been bought over by Oracle a massive company. I quit prior to this acquisition and it has been over a year since I have worked for them. Now I am setting up an IT business and 1 part of my business will focus on implementing and training clients on the Oracle system.

My non compete on my contract states
    "
    11. Non-Solicitation

11.1 You agree that for a period of 6 months following the termination of your employment for

whatever reason, you shall not, either personally, or as an employee, consultant or agent for any

other entity or employer, seek to;

(a) Solicit or carry out any work of the same nature for any client or customer of the

employer with which you had any contact or dealings with during your employment; or

(b) Solicit or engage or employ any employee of the employer with whom you had any

dealings during your employment.
    "

From this, I understand that since it's been over the 6 months I am free to offer my services. Is that correct?

Now this is the tricky bit, on one of my pages I have it refer to Oracle|Micros which is the Business Unit that I have experience in and also the products that I can help implement and train on and support. Now I am unsure if listing their name and their products would be infringing on usage of their name/s as they are registered to the Oracle Corporation.

Could someone please let me know if I need to make a note that Oracle|Micros is a registered trademark of Oracle Australia etc..?

Thanks in advance!

2. Therese

Therese Well-Known Member

Hi Asbindia,

My understanding is that after 6 months you may offer your services as the non-compete is no longer valid.

In regards to "Oracle|Micros", it would make sense to source it as a registered trademark. However, is there any other way to describe it on your page?

My suggestion would be to get a second opinion on my thoughts though, as I am not a lawyer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...