VIC Threatening housemate (not on the lease)

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

andypandy

25 June 2017
Hi, I live in a house with three flatmates. One recently went to Europe with no notice and we had to get someone else to fill the room who is drunk and hostile. A girl I knew moved in as she was desperate for a place. She is not on the lease and pays less. Once moved in she started to drink and behave erratically and went against her agreement not to wake me with loud showers after 11:30 (I am a teacher and need sleep, the pipes are in the wall and they are unblockable even with ear plugs...she has been ensuring I have a minimum of four hours sleep). Moreover, you'd be aware that most apartments in Europe and uk have laws regarding vaccuming using loud appliances after hours.

it is a human right to sleep and not one to have two to three showers and make excessive noise after 11. I work full time, I am suffering from lupus and my brother is dying from cancer. I ask for very simple things

any reasonable attempt to discuss was met with hostility

Anyway, once in she reneged on this agreement and started to send me nasty texts (I blocked her and stopped engaging with her), then proceeded to repeatedly shower between 1 and 4am (drunk) making as much noise as possible and leaving all the lights on in the house and switching them back on...yeas childish stuff (this is all recorded or documented) . the other issue of course being we are in drought and the costs are out of control.

This culminated in her bursting into a room where I was trying my reports and screaming and calling me a c**t and a b***h for typing to loudly and screaming this is why I'm a loser with no friends and no one wants to date me and how dare I type in the living room when I should go to my room etc. This was totally unprovoked as I had been actively avoiding her.

she also wrote a nasty not on my flatmates whiteboard (photographed)

I sent her a warning outlining all the incidences of abuse. I stayed with my parents to return this weekend. Again the behaviour continued. She turn on every light on the house and returned them on again and again (yes petty) and the heater up to 27 (I've recorded this).

I served her notice (legally it is not required) and she screwed it up and threw it at me (recorded). Then she started ranting about me harassing her (I've not been at home and I've not spoken more than 10 words to her).

she is violent and unstable

As she was being filmed she toned it down a bit, but you get the picture. The other girls want the rent covered and won't support me however I believe Beth is liable (the girl that is no the lease and let ash in). I'm happy to show the example of texts and videos too.

She is attempting to get the other girls involved but I believe it is my right to insist she cease her behaviour or move out immediately and Beth is liable for the rent.

andypandy

25 June 2017
I've also spoken to a psychologist friend and my Dr about this and they have said it is a clear case of mental illness and spite and that she needs to be removed ASAP

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What is your question? And who is Beth?

andypandy

25 June 2017
What is your question? And who is Beth?
she is the person who is on the lease, who is renting her room whilst in europe. I believe under this case of illegal subletting Beth liable for the rent and the other girl can be evicted without notice. Is this correct?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
This is not straightforward as you let the room out to the other girl, not Beth.

Beth is liable to the landlord, as is anyone else on the lease. You have an oral sublease or possibly a license with the other girl and can evict her. If it is merely a license you can evict her at anytime. The wording of your oral agreement determines whether she has lease or license (including a rooming house).

With 4 people in the house the other girl might be under rooming house rules and I know nothing about those rules.