VIC Terminating Lease due to Noise Levels

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tommos

25 May 2021
Hi there,
just after some advise on my rights to ending a lease early before i approach the Real Estate Agent.
My situation is:
i'm Renting in a high rise in Melbourne on a year lease and I am two months in
anytime there is even a little bit of wind (talking anything over 10kts) which in Melbourne is a fair few times a month. There is a creaking noises, whistling noises, cracking noises e.t.c. it is really difficult to sleep and is affecting me physically and mentally.
I have measured it and recorded it on a Decibel reader and it hits 80 decibels and occurs every 3-5 seconds and also have multiple videos of this occurring which can clearly hear the sound that building is making.
Multiple people in the high rise are complaining about it and there is even an Age article written which includes an investigation into the building which concluded incorrect building techniques had been used.
I know the people who have officially put in the complaint to the building company have just been told that the sound is 'normal'
Just wondering if I will have any rights to ending the lease early?
Thanks in advance for any advise that can be offered.
Ryan

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I suspect you do have rights to terminate early.

Give our property lawyers a call to find out how they can help you.