Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Statutory Rape QLD - Criminal Offence?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by Dylan Bonaventura, 24 June 2014.

1. Dylan Bonaventura

Hi. My friends and I have been having an argument for a couple of weeks now.

My question is; In Queensland, can an 18 year old legally have intercourse with a 16 year old? Full consent is given from both parties.

I was also wondering what constitutes statutory rape in QLD. My friend thinks that an 18 year old (an adult) having sex with a 16 year old (who is technically a minor) is statutory rape. Can anybody elaborate on this topic please?

I'd really like some clear cut answers to settle this once and for all. Thanks for the responses in advance :)

2. John R

John R Well-Known Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dylan Bonaventura

4. Toqual

Toqual Well-Known Member

Precisely what John has said.

An 18+ is considered an adult and can only lawfully engage in sexual intercourse with another adult. Similar concept for those at the age of consent; a 16 year old can only have coitus with an individual between 16-17. If these requirements are not met, it is Statutory Rape.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    John R likes this.