Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Setting Up a Small Business - Will I Need Food Licence?

Discussion in 'Other/General Law Forum' started by Sarah2015, 3 August 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sarah2015

Sarah2015 Member

I am in the process of setting up a small business in Queensland retailing dried herbs and spices. The dried herb and spices will be purchased through an Australian Certified Organic wholesaler to create a spice blend product and then packaged into food grade sealed pouches for retail. I am seeking manufacturers that can do this for me, however I am also looking into the option of packaging it myself.

I would like to know if there is a food licence that I am required to apply for in order to package the product myself. I have had a look a the ABLIS website and it says that I do not have to apply for a license under the Food Act for "the sale of seeds, spices, dried herbs, tea leaves, coffee beans or ground coffee".

I would like further clarity on this please.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Food business licence - Food Safety Standards and Regulation - Queensland | ABLIS

2. Sarah2015

Sarah2015 Member

Hi there. I am still awaiting a response to my question that I posted on Monday. Thank you.