QLD Setting Up a Small Business - Will I Need Food Licence?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sarah2015

3 August 2015
I am in the process of setting up a small business in Queensland retailing dried herbs and spices. The dried herb and spices will be purchased through an Australian Certified Organic wholesaler to create a spice blend product and then packaged into food grade sealed pouches for retail. I am seeking manufacturers that can do this for me, however I am also looking into the option of packaging it myself.

I would like to know if there is a food licence that I am required to apply for in order to package the product myself. I have had a look a the ABLIS website and it says that I do not have to apply for a license under the Food Act for "the sale of seeds, spices, dried herbs, tea leaves, coffee beans or ground coffee".

I would like further clarity on this please.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Food business licence - Food Safety Standards and Regulation - Queensland | ABLIS

Sarah2015

3 August 2015
Hi there. I am still awaiting a response to my question that I posted on Monday. Thank you.