NSW School Bullying Negligence

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Buzzed dragonfly

20 March 2017
March 2014 until Dec 2016 my son was the target of school bullying that occurred as soon as he walked in the school gates in the morning,whilst at school and walking home from school every single school day from 2014 til 2016.
We were constantly told these boys would never change and we had 2 hope they would get bored with my son and move onto someone else.
These same boys also threatened my 6yr old daughter at school when my son was 2 scared to attend the school.. it was physically punches to back of head,attempting to choke my son and inciting all students to make fun.of my son in assemblies.
I have detailed records of what was occurring in communications with the local newspaper begging for their help to stop the bullying at school and also detailed records of me communicating with a victims of crime service desperate to stop the bullying.
My now 15yr old son has been diagnosed with severe OCD/Anxiety and is unable to live life like he once did.
He struggles to leave the house and has obsessive rituals of checking his hair to get it 'right incase someone bullies him.
He is unable to attend school at the moment and is on anti psychotics and anti depressants.
Do i have a chance of proving negligenceand breach of duty of care by the School?.

Please also note this school has history of negligence being proved in similar situation with previous student 10yrs before - i spent a great deal of time back then researching my son's rights and came across the Negligence case ..

Clancy

6 April 2016
I was very badly bullied at school, this is going back 30 years. I sometimes wonder the person i would be if that did not happen? Over the years there is this certain something i have observed in other people, it is this 'inner drive'. I find it intriguing because it is something i personally know nothing about? That is the long term effect what bullying did to me.

Buzzed dragonfly

20 March 2017
I was very badly bullied at school, this is going back 30 years. I sometimes wonder the person i would be if that did not happen? Over the years there is this certain something i have observed in other people, it is this 'inner drive'. I find it intriguing because it is something i personally know nothing about? That is the long term effect what bullying did to me.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The issue with bullying is not clear cut. It makes some people stronger, it can destroy others. And nobody knows which way it will go until time goes by. I can understand a parent not wanting to take the risk about which way it goes.

I suggest taking your son to self defence classes. He needs self confidence and to stand up for himself. Sure the school has some responsibility but as a parent you need to teach your son some important life skills.

I am believer in nonviolence, however other people are not the same. Self defence is different to aggression and everyone has a right to self-defence.

One of my sons was bullied in year 4 and he followed the rules and my teaching never to hit someone in anger. That was my mistake - he was bullied because he was well-mannered and never struck back. I had to refine my rule and reteach that self-defence is allowable. Things improved due to a combination of school paying attention to situations he couldn't control, and some push back by my son.

An interesting observation into how kids are different - I had no such difficulty with my other son. It came naturally for him to retaliate against any aggression. No-one picked on him for long and I had to get him to be less aggressive and give other kids some leeway and not take some things in the wrong way.