VIC Recourse to terminate lease with co-renters?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

rsjaus

25 June 2015
Hi,

I moved into a rental and was advised by the Real Estate I couldn't sublet and so if I wanted housemates, they needed to go on the lease.

At first glance, they seemed fine, and it might work. I believe there is an element of harassment and bullying happening, and it's not working out.

Both have refused to leave, and all three of us are on the lease. I was here first, chose the house for particular requirements (disabilities etc.), family nearby, certain agreements with the landlord, and they simply just want to stay because it's convenient.

Do I have any options at all?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes. The first option is to get their agreement, and the landlords, in principle agreement to you moving out. Then look for someone else to replace you on the lease.

If the harassment is serious enough then you apply for an intervention order as the first step. Though it doesn't seem like the events reach that level else you would likely have mention it.

You can't just kick them out. They have to agree to leave as they are on the lease.