NSW Putting Up Fences under Property Law - Need Neighbour's Consent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Netta

30 September 2015
Under property law, can I put up a new fence on my own property leaving the current fences intact with my fence directly near it when the neighbour is so far reluctant to have a new fence even though I'm happy to pay all costs? Would I still need neighbour's consent? Could I just put up a trellis on the old fence without any neighbour consent instead?

I'm hoping the continuing negotiation with my neighbour is successful but I want to have suitable alternatives and suggestions. The NSW law access said I needed consent to put on my property but I don't think I explained properly and it takes ages to get anyone on their phone to ask again.

Thanks

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Netta,

I was unable to locate anything in the Dividing Fences Act 1991 in relation to building a fence on your land near the original fence however my understanding is that it is most likely possible as you are not affecting the neighbour or the current fence in anyway.

In regards to putting a trellis on the old fence I would suggest trying to seek advice from Law Access. Even if it is on your side of the fence there may be some regulations and restrictions as to what you can do.