NSW Property Law - Recourse to Move Neighbour's Property Back from Mine?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brecht

21 March 2018
I have an obnoxious neighbour, with a long history of noise and yelling and swearing loudly at her own children. Needless to say asking her to be considerate to her neighbours is pointless.

In the recent past, her current boyfriend has tossed cigarette butts into my garden and her kids are always tossing over lolly wrappers, etc. One of her annoying habits is to bang on her horn loudly in the driveway to announce she is home to her kids.

They even resort to driving up my driveway to get around any car that happens to be parked on her driveway. She has a narrow block at the front, in a wedge shape. Her latest attempt to provoke me, after a minor altercation, is to push her kids' mobile basketball net up against our adjoining fence with the hoop hanging over the property line into my property.

I don’t want to lower myself to her level and damage the hoop or get it to disappear, so I’m asking is there any legal recourse, under property law, to have it moved back.
Happy to hear any possible solutions.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can push it back. You also able to throw back all other items like wrappers and cigarette butts.

You can take her to court for trespass.

Or you can ignore her because she enjoys getting under your skin and in doing so you deny her the pleasure she derives from your annoyance.

Reactions: Brecht

Brecht

21 March 2018
You can push it back. You also able to throw back all other items like wrappers and cigarette butts.

You can take her to court for trespass.

Or you can ignore her because she enjoys getting under your skin and in doing so you deny her the pleasure she derives from your annoyance.

Thanks for the post Rod. I'm doing all of the above except court action at the moment but it all seems so petty.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
BTW, I think if she is on the road using the horn this is a road traffic offence. In either case it is a nuisance and if frequent enough is actionable. Diarise the date and times she is using the horn.

Reactions: Brecht

Brecht

21 March 2018
BTW, I think if she is on the road using the horn this is a road traffic offence. In either case it is a nuisance and if frequent enough is actionable. Diarise the date and times she is using the horn.
No Rod, on her driveway, I was thinking along the same lines. My wife lost patience with her while we were having breakfast a couple of Saturdays ago and shouted at her to shut up.

Next door replied with both barrels, asking my wife to “Say it to my face c#@t”, etc., etc.

The cold war continues.