VIC Property Law - Is an Exclusive Sale Authority Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lilyyc

12 January 2016
Hi,

I signed an exclusive sale authority as I want to nominate the house which is still not settled.

Here are some questions I've got:

Q1: Is this authority legal under Property Law? Frankly speaking, I don't have the house, and I can't sell it, right?

Q2: Should the commission be paid as stated in the contract? The agent requests their commission, but it's a nomination. Does this comply with the law?

Q3: Does the agent have every right to sell the property at the prices written on the contract? I was told if there is a vendor's asking price, if there is a buyer agreeing to pay that amount, the vendor has to accept that price, right? The truth is I'm not a vendor yet, should I be bound to this price?

Thanks very much for your help in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What do you mean by "... as I want to nominate the house which is still not settled"? A bit more background would help.

E.g. Have you bought multiple properties off the plan and want to sell one of them?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
So you want to sell an existing house that you are buying but is not yet settled.

1. Assuming you have signed a valid sale contract for the purchase of this house, then yes, an authority to resell, assuming it is in the correct form, would be legal.
2. a) yes. b) I don't understand the second part of this question.
3. Sounds like a private sale agreement. No, you are not bound till you sign the sale contract. You may, however, be legally obliged to pay real estate commission fees if you reject a valid offer at the price you have nominated. Needs someone with more knowledge than me to comment on this.

Lilyyc

12 January 2016
That is too bad. I have little idea about this.

The agent, when she asked me to sign the exclusive sale authority, told a different story. She told me the commission is to be paid by the buyer, as it's a nomination for the original purchasing price. She also told me if I don't want to sell the house, I don't have to sign the sales contract. I believed her. Now everything is the opposite.

What else can I do?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
You need a lawyer to help you. There may well be an easy way out but you need a lawyer to sit down with you and look over your paperwork and then give you a proper legal opinion.

I can't tell from your post if English is your second language and you don't understand everything or if there was a simple misunderstanding with the real estate agent. In Australia the normal situation is for sellers to pay real estate fees/commissions.