NSW Photography - Copyright Issues on Taking Photos of Objects?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Answers12345

17 April 2017
Hello, I'm just getting started in photography and considering selling photos/taking photos for my employer as part of marketing. Basically, I'd like to know where I can find good information on Intellectual Property Law in Australia concerning photography? Particularly regarding objects bought such as a toy, notebook with a pretty front cover, mugs, any household object. Any copyright / trademark issues?

If I wanted to take a close up of one of these items and then sell this as a stock photo, do I need to ask whoever created the item for permission? Even if it's just a household item bought from the shops with no distinct logos?

Thank you, any help on how I can better understand Australian laws. Would be excellent as I've found lots of information around taking photos in public spaces, however not much information on including objects in photos.

Thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Basically, I'd like to know where I can find good information on Intellectual Property Law in Australia concerning photography?
From pretty much any solicitor who works in the IP space.

Kim Walters

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
Reactions: Tim W