LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Personal Injury Claim for Broken Nose?

Discussion in 'Personal Injury Law Forum' started by Lucy123, 4 March 2015.

1. Lucy123

Lucy123 Member

I got punched in the face 5 months ago by a 18 years old girl. I didn't get the police get involved. It was my first time involved with something like this and I was scared. I didnt know what to do. I needed to get surgery so the girl's mum paid a small amount of money for my surgery. However, I've been experiencing side effects such as breathing problems, plus emotional instability and depression. I would like to know if I can still sue her for personal injury even though it's been 5 months since the incident?

2. Tracy B

Tracy B Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy123,

The time bar for personal injury is 3 years from the date of the incident: Limitation Act 1969 (NSW) s 50C. This means you still have time to initiate action.

3. Ivy

Ivy Well-Known Member

Hi Lucy,

In addition to what Tracy said, I suggest that you report this incident to the police. The girl who punched you has committed assault. Do you have photos and other evidence you can show the police? I suggest that the fact that the girls mum contributed financially to your medical treatment is would support your claim that the girl assaulted you.
    I also recommend that you see a solicitor. You can start with Legal Aid and (if you are also a similar age to the girl who punched you), your local Youth Legal Centre.

Sophea and Tracy B like this.
  4. Tracy B

Tracy B Well-Known Member

I agree with Ivy, make a note/take photographic evidence of: your injuries, the recovery process of your injuries (as time will pass between sustaining your injury and hearing) and medical opinions/reports/correspondences. Keep a copy of all expenses made related to the injury. Further, make a note of any loss relating from the injury (e.g. lost days from work).

Sophea and Ivy like this.
  5. Serge Gorval

Serge Gorval Well-Known Member

if you're seeking compensation, then file a claim in the local court for damages.

6. JS79

JS79 Well-Known Member

The area you would be looking at seeking damages from would be from Criminal Injuries Compensation. If you go to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Commission website you can fill in an application yourself along with supporting medical evidence or you can go see a local personal injury lawyer who deals with Criminal Injuries Compensation.

See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You to be connected to a local personal injury lawyer.