QLD Parent Won't Sign Children's Passport - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cooperfolk

22 December 2016
I'm a dual citizen of the U.K. And Australia, I'm currently in the UK. My plan was to return next year.

My children are all dual citizenship. My last two kids' dad and I are not together and have never lived together. He has seen his kids once in 6 months and is refusing to give consent for their passports. Is there any way around this as he is determined to be spiteful and is using this new power to control me and my plans to relocate?

I have been in the UK for 5 years and my plan was always to return, initially with him. Obviously not now. What are my options? We are planning to relocate in 12 months. My eldest three children are keen to go back but I can't go as they legally can't stay without an Australian passport for youngest two?

Can I fly out on a ETA on the British passports then fight it from Australia would they remove them back to the UK?
My only thought was to try and remove parental responsibility from him in the UK but I doubt he will ever agree to this.

Desperate for help

S

Sophea

You will need court orders to obtain passports for your youngest two and to relocate to the UK if there is no consent from other parent. This sounds like a complex matter which may require the advice of a licensed migration agent as well as a family lawyer.

Cooperfolk

22 December 2016
Hi thank you for your response. I'm currently in the UK wanting to relocate back to Oz. Father is a UK citizen only .

You will need court orders to obtain passports for your youngest two and to relocate to the UK if there is no consent from other parent. This sounds like a complex matter which may require the advice of a licensed migration agent as well as a family lawyer.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Get a court to give permission, or do it like you said and hope the dad doesn't pursue legal action to have you returned. The second option is obviously high risk.