VIC OP overstepping legal rep??

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ashe81

31 August 2021
Hello,

I have a question in regard to a currently running federal circuit case.

Quick background of the issue regarding my question:

I have opted to represent myself after being screwed over by my previous legal rep.

In October it was ruled that as a victim of domestic violence I have to have representation for the trial hearing or I wouldn’t be able to cross examine.
When speaking to the judge in that hearing, I had mentioned the name of a firm where my case had originally been transferred from my previous rep when they closed down, but I said that I difficulties contacting them or getting them to respond and that at the time I hadn’t engaged them as my representation or even if I was sure I would.
The judge understood this and I remain self represented until trial in April or until I advise.

My ex is represented by his fathers law firm, I have had huge problems with the woman representing him. I believe she acts unprofessionally with her domineer and actions .
I am in constant receipt of repetitive or irrelevant communication despite her receiving my responses, she continues with almost bullying harassment.
I have brought it to her attention several times and have asked her to stop but she continues.
I have also raised the issue of conflict of interest because she is employed by my ex’s father and her conduct would suggest she has a personal gain through her employment at the least.

The question:
My ex’s lawyer obviously heard what I had said to the judge at the last hearing.
She has then taken it upon herself to contact that firm without my knowledge on more than one occasion to see if they have been sought to represent me and if the have agreed to accepted service, despite me clearly saying I am still self representing and the comm courts portal saying my address of service is me.

Is this normal conduct?

Thank you.