NSW Online store is stating they can't honour a discount

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

ejayde

26 April 2020
Hi there, an online store has an item for 25% off, lets call it an ebook + hard copy book.
So the ebook + hard copy book is currently 25% off the original price.
I proceed to the online checkout, put in my own coupon that I had received from a friend for 10% off.
My payment was received by the seller and I had 1 email that came that said my order was processing.
Then, half an hour later, I received a "thank you and welcome" email to suggest that my order had been processed as I was able to access the ebook, and was now waiting for the hard copy book to be delivered.
I received a message from the owner of the books stating that it was her mistake that I was allowed to use the 10% code on top of the 25% already marked down item. She wants me to pay the extra 10% to her or she won't send me the book and will refund the whole order.

As the order has been processed, it is my right to state to her that I am not giving her the extra 10% off?

Thankyou.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Check the terms and conditions of sale/using a discount. Most will say that you can only use one discount per sale (or similar). If that’s the case, then it could be a case of genuine mistake by the seller and they are entitled not to honour the extra 10%. Many will anyway in the interests of customer satis faction - but there’s no absolute obligation on them.