VIC Non genuine redundancy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Melody Sky

3 July 2019
Hi there,
I was made redundant from my full time roll on the 6/6/19, my last day being the 28/6/19. Worked there since April 12th 2016.
This was due to my position no longer being required.
However the company has employed a temp' staff member for the next 3-6 months doing the same job (actually less tasks) that i did, also full time. But changed the title.
Other jobs were available at the time and not offered to me.
Is this a case of a non genuine redundancy? Had they changed my roll to what the temp' staff is doing I would of had work at least for another few months.
Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Is this a case of a non genuine redundancy?

Maybe. How many employees work there?

If you want to take this further, check out my signature and give me a call.

How many weeks pay redundancy did they give you?

Melody Sky

3 July 2019
Hi,

There is roughly 70 employees. I was given 7 weeks redundancy payment + my A/L.
Not sure whether to take further as I don't want to ruin my name In regards to references or if this would effect me getting another job.

Paul Cott

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
26 May 2014
Ballarat, Victoria
There are three elements of a genuine redundancy. The job (the role not tasks) is no longer being performed by anyone. Two, consultation with you in terms of a modern award most commonly and last, genuine consideration of redeployment into a suitable alternative role. So in summary more information would be required. But 21 days after the last day is the strict time limit so act fast.