QLD Need advice on taking up option to renew lease

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Thea

29 May 2018
Hi, I initially signed a 12 month lease commencing October 2016, with a 2 x 2year option to renew. In September 2017 I emailed the Owner and indicated that I "was keen" to take up the 2 year option to renew the lease, however before going ahead I wanted to confirm what the rent would be. I had asked that the Owner get back to me to confirm. I haven't heard from the Owner specifically about the renewal (have received no written or verbal confirmation), however I have just kept paying the rent amount as per the initial 12month lease. The Owner has continued to invoice me as per same.
What I want to know is whether these circumstances legally bind me to continue for the remainder of this renewed 2 year lease term. I have had a change of heart since indicating that I wanted to renew the lease, and would like to know where I stand. Thanks in advance for your time...

Clancy

6 April 2016
Well, it should be clearly stated in the lease regarding the procedure if taking up the 2 year option?

So, they probably got you by the sounds of it?

You might be able to ask them permission to allow someone else to take over the lease?, or you to sublease the premises to someone else, allowing you to move out and the sublease person then pays you the rent upkeep for you to then pay to the owner.