LIMIT on issuing an invoice.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RICHO777

21 December 2020
My wife and I had an appointment with a solicitor in April 2018 to discuss wills and a possible trust for my daughter and the the costs involved.
After the meeting we didn't pursue the matter further.
Today 21st December 2020 we have received an invoice for $825 for draft wills that were allegedly sent by e-mail on 24th April 2018. The solicitor stating (December 2020) that "I have not received any response from you and I assume that you do not wish to proceed".
The meeting was purely to investigate costs of 2 wills and possibly a Disability Trust" for my daughter we didn't pursue either.
We have no record of receiving these wills by post or e-mail and didn't give the approval to go ahead with the said wills.
The solicitor is claiming interest if we do not pay.
I have read somewhere that the legal wording generally used is that an invoice must be issued within a "reasonable" amount of time.
2 years and 8 months is not a reasonable time ...
How do I approach this .. we are both pensioners and have no legal knowledge regarding this issue.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Maybe he's run out of ambulances to chase :rolleyes:

What state are you in?
Did you ever discuss costs?

RICHO777

21 December 2020
We are in Victoria ... we did discuss costs especially the Disability Trust. Can not remember the cost of the wills.

Atticus

6 February 2019
As the costs are above the lower threshold (i believe that threshold is $750) then a costs disclosure should have been provided. This should have been done at the time or ASAP afterwards.

As a start, I would be asking for proof that the disclosure was provided & that you had signed to engage their services.

RICHO777

21 December 2020
I have asked for a cost disclosure and as the cost was $750 plus GST he states that it is not required even though the total bill I will be paying for a draft will (which I have just received 2 years and 10 months later ) is $825. Seems to me that this is a no win situation with our legal knowledge nil and his is 30+ years.
Will complain to the Victorian Legal Service Commissioner or should I make an offer to close this?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Make an offer.