VIC Landlord Refusing to Return Bond - Tenants Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Emm

20 March 2015
My partner and I vacated a house 3 weeks ago. We were given a list of things to repair and clean, these things were done and now the landlord has added to this and won't refund our bond. Under property law, can they legally keep adding things?

Ivy

10 February 2015
Your landlord is obligated to have done a final inspection with you (the tenants) present. This is the time that you would have returned the keys and the landlord was able to notify you of any cleaning or repairs needed. They cannot add to this list once you have vacated and the final inspection has been done.

If you are having issues getting the bond, you can start by contacting Consumer Affairs Victoria and then potentially making a claim through the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.

Additionally, this document put out by Consumer Affairs Victoria is quite comprehensive: http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/library/publications/housing-and-accommodation/renting/renting-a-home-a-guide-for-tenants.pdf

Reactions: Sophea and Tracy B
S

Sophea

I agree with Ivy, they should have done a final inspection when you gave the keys back - end of story. Did you receive something in writing indicating what it was that you were required to fix first time around? Or was it verbal. Make sure you keep all evidence in case you need to prove your side of the story to the tribunal etc.