NSW Is Repackaged Products Without Labels Against Commercial Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

elizabeth112

31 October 2016
Hi,

I am the owner of a cleaning company and I do welcome packs for my new clients. Previously, my welcome packs included a card and flowers, but I am not looking to do a gift basket.

My question is, if I buy the product in bulk and package it into smaller containers, safely and hygienically - will the lack of labels on products such as popcorn and salted peanuts be against Commercial Law? Would I be held liable if anything happens to the client if they consumed items from re-packed foods?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au

elizabeth112

31 October 2016
Also speaking on this matter, when people go to corner stores who resell repackaged items in small clear bags and well as at my sports centre who have a display of repackaged lollies with no labelling and when you have the candy buffets in the shopping centres, they don't come with warning labels so where does one draw the line?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
See part E in the link I posted. It specifically refers to small packages.

Recommend you give Food Standards Australia a call if the document is hard to understand.