QLD Intellectual Property Law - Using Photos from Facebook on Website?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Subby101

15 April 2016
Hi,

I'm building my own website at the moment and want to use photos from the internet of machinery and equipment on my site. Am I allowed or do I need to ask permission to use an image under Intellectual Property Law?

I was considering using images from Facebook group pages and/or classified websites.

Thanks for you time

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No, you can't just help yourself.

If they are not your photos, and you use them without permission of their owner, then you may be infringing copyright.
Just because stuff is in the wild, doesn't mean that there isn't a copyright owner somewhere.

Subby101

15 April 2016
So unless I take the photo myself I can't use it without the original photographer's permission correct?

Will be hard to find the original owner of photos on the internet but I suppose is not impossible...

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
So unless i take the photo myself I cant use it without the original photographers persmission correct??
Pretty much.
Will be hard to find original owner of photos on the internet but I suppos is not inpossible...
Basically, that's how it is.
We have answered similar questions on here before - so you may find a search helpful.