QLD Intellectual Property Law - Can I Use Business Logos for Directory?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

SteveK

31 August 2017
I'm considering a directory website and wanted to know if I need permission to use business' logos under intellectual property law?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I'm considering a directory website and wanted to know if I need permission to use businesses logos?
A business' logo is their property, just like the office furniture and the trading stock. So you can't just help yourself.

In short and simple, if the people you are listing are paying you, then you can include their approval as a T&C of the contract.
If they're not, then you will mostly avoid difficulty if you get their consent in writing before using it.
And by that I mean a letter on paper rather than mere email.

SteveK

31 August 2017
A business' logo is their property, just like the office furniture and the trading stock. So you can't just help yourself.

In short and simple, if the people you are listing are paying you, then you can include their approval as a T&C of the contract.
If they're not, then you will mostly avoid difficulty if you get their consent in writing before using it.
And by that I mean a letter on paper rather than mere email.
Many thanks Tim!