LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Intellectual Property Law - Do I Need Written Permission for Photo?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Bill Williams, 26 July 2016.

1. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Member

I'm a small business owner and what I want to do is take a photo of a customised classic car at a public event and transfer the image onto a t-shirt. I then want to sell this t-shirt for a profit. I will be blanking out the number plate but the owner will recognise it is his car as it is unique. Under Intellectual Property Law, do I need written permission from the owner to use the image?

Thanks

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

You will own the copyright to the photograph if you take it. I can't think of any rights a vehicle owner would have to prevent you from commercially using an image of his vehicle. In some cases a person can prevent you from commercially using a picture of them, however I have never heard of someone being able to prevent someone using a picture of their personal property commercially.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Kim Walters and Bill Williams like this.
  3. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Member

Thank you for your quick response, you have been really helpful.
    Cheers