LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Intellectual Property Law - Need Company's Permission to Use Logo?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by SYED GILLANI, 26 May 2016.

1. SYED GILLANI

SYED GILLANI Member

I posted an internal memorandum at my site. I copy-cut-pasted my employer's logo on a memorandum without seeking permission. Do I need permission to use company's logo on an internal memorandum under intellectual property law?

One of my colleagues said to me it's illegal and forgery. If I use my employer's logo on a memorandum without seeking permission from the employer, would it be legal or illegal? I'm employed by the company and I mentioned my designation at the bottom of the memorandum (leading hand in that capacity that I am employed).

If it is illegal, what action can be taken against me? If that practice is illegal, I will stop it straight away

Please help me.

Thanks and regards,

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Your colleague is likely having a lend of you. If you don't know what this means, it increases the chances of being true (Aussie term meaning to lie to a person in a joking way for one's own amusement. Happens frequently in a tradie workplace.)

Generally, no.

Though just check with your HR people to be sure.

From your name and post, I assume you an immigrant and possibly new to being a leading hand. Welcome to Australia and Aussie humour.

3. SYED GILLANI

SYED GILLANI Member

I'm neither a newly arrived immigrant nor a newly appointed. Just wanted to know if there is any catch. Most reliable and appropriate answers will be highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

4. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

Sorry about the assumption.

In either case my answer is still valid.

5. SYED GILLANI

SYED GILLANI Member

That's okay.

Thanks Rod

Much appreciated