SA Intellectual Property Law on Illustrating Landmarks for Souvenirs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tantravaya

6 November 2016
I live in a tourist area and work at a motel where I am frequently asked to offer recommendations for places tourists should visit in the region. Some of the places I recommend are scenic, such as national parks and some are enterprises such as museums. Other landmarks are public art statues, mostly commissioned by Councils. I am disappointed by the quality and range of tourism souvenirs available to visitors and as a graphic designer I am keen to develop products for tourist mementos. I am looking at producing tea towels, mugs, t-shirts, bags, greeting and postcards and more to sell them as a wholesaler to venues that might retail them to tourists.

I will be using my own sketches and photographs and adapting them as illustrative designs using digital art rather than using straight photographic images.

Who and what do I need to obtain permission from in order to proceed with promoting a particular tourist icon under Intellectual Property Law? For example, do I need to contact a Museum for permission if I don't use their logo and just identify them as a museum using a recognisable representation of their building? Do I need to get permission to use an illustrative design of a horse statue commissioned by Council when the image of the horse is already widely advertised and promoted as a tourist icon? Can I promote scene landmarks owned privately and by Government without permission?

These landmarks are widely referenced as tourist destination.

Kim Walters

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Australia
lawtap.com
The Copyright Act provides that the copyright in a building is not infringed by making a drawing of a "painting, drawing, engraving or photograph of the building". However, photography or drawings may be restricted in some areas by local councils or authorities.

Reactions: Tantravaya