NSW How do I get my husbands name removed from title

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
16 November 2022
My husband and i purchased a house and land in 2017. Due to his poor credit rating I had to sell my investment property to pay a 25% deposit.
I now have the cash to pay out this mortgage- but I am not going to do it if it remains in both names (his family are vultures and would have me kicked out of the home that i paid for in a matter of hours if he were to pass away.)
My bank says I have to totally remortgage the property in my name only.
Does this mean that i will have to pay stamp duty all over again?
He is happy to sign the property over to me- is there another way that we can do this?

Nighthelyn

24 September 2014
Sydney
Dear IndependantMiss1972,

no it cannot be done stamp duty free. In NSW, Duties Act 1997 has very few events when ownership change/transfer to be stamp duty free, and the act of husband 50% transfer to wife is not exempted. If you must transfer, stamp duty is roughly 4% of the 1/2 value of your home, and you will need a formal valuation. You need a conveyancer/solicitor to do this.

Other alternatives if the name doesn’t have to only be you on title, and you do not wish to incur stamp duty are:

1. Record a caveat on your husband’s portion of the property, if he cooperate;
2. Property is owned in joint tenancy - then if your husband passes, you can immediately with a death certificate lodge a notice of death at nsw land and be sole owner - this does not require nor affected by any will/probate/administration process;
3. Record a life estate on your husband’s share of the property, if your husband cooperate, and you need a lawyer to do this; and
4. Your husband has a will confirming his share of the property passes to you in his passing, and have someone who is not hostile to you as the executor.

Good luck!

-Nighthelyn