QLD Removing name from title deed

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Denise Myers

29 May 2019
Hi,

My ex has a "Deed Of Sale subject to encumbrances" on a property that has a mortgage in both names still. He wants me to sign a title deed document to get my name of the title so he can sell the house. Do I need to do this for him to be able to sell the house?

Regards
Denise

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can't just remove your name from a title deed. Your interest has to be transferred to someone (either a new owner, or another owner registered on title).

From what it sounds like, you either need to:

1. Transfer your interest in the property to him;
2. Grant him a limited power of attorney to deal with the property, which will need to be registered; or
3. You'll need to sign to the contract and the transfer documents as if you were part of the sale.

Option 1 will cost him money. He'll need to get the property valued/appraised, and he'll need to pay transfer duty on the interest being transferred.

Option 2 I don't suggest considering unless you trust him implicitly (and even then...).

Option 3 is a bit of a hassle, but it means you retain some control in the process.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do nothing, and especially, sign nothing,
without getting your own independent legal advice.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Tim's advice is good.

Hard to comment without knowing prior arrangements and court outcomes in a property split.