VIC Hemp CBD Oil - Import and Use Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

04tmeal

12 May 2015
Hi all, I am looking to buy some CBD oil (derived from cannabis or more appropriately HEMP) from the US, however am uncertain on the Australian law surrounding this.

The last time I checked, I remember it being OK to import this product so long as the oil was not used internally and was for external use only or something silly like that.

If anyone can help out that would be great.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @O4tmeal,
After searching on Google, I'm confused as to whether you are specifically referring to Hemp-derived Cannabidiol (CBD) oil only or other variants?

04tmeal

12 May 2015
Yes the CBD oil only. I am not sure if it is Hemp-derived but fairly certain it is due to cost, in any case CBD is CBD regardless if what type of plant or what part of the plant it comes from.

Thanks

27 June 2015
  • Not all CBD is created equal.. Industrial hemp seed oil is <2% THC and can be very high in CBD and often called CBD oil (or even Hemp Oil) and is legal in australia you can buy it in loads of herb shops. The law was grey on it but a declassification passed in Vic on 1 June..
  • Cannabis Oil that is >2.5% THC is cannabis by current TGA classification, so not yet.. and sometimes also called CBD oil or Hemp Oil
  • So the definiton is on > or < 2.5% THC

Reactions: 04tmeal

04tmeal

12 May 2015
  • Not all CBD is created equal.. Industrial hemp seed oil is <2% THC and can be very high in CBD and often called CBD oil (or even Hemp Oil) and is legal in australia you can buy it in loads of herb shops. The law was grey on it but a declassification passed in Vic on 1 June..
  • Cannabis Oil that is >2.5% THC is cannabis by current TGA classification, so not yet.. and sometimes also called CBD oil or Hemp Oil
  • So the definiton is on > or < 2.5% THC
G'day and thanks for the reply.

I have found all sorts of information on this

Here
http://www.lawreform.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/VLRC_Cannabis_Issues_Paper_1.pdf

And here
Poisons Standard October 2016

And here
4. Current regulation of cannabis | Victorian Law Reform Commission

But nothing that really tells me anything practical.

Like I am still wanting to know; can I buy this locally or from overseas? Can I ingest it? Or does it have to be for topical use only? Can I import it to resell commercially? If I can, do I need to be a GP to sell it? If I sell it do I still need to label it for external/topical use only?

Very confused... Thanks for replies.

I wish they would just come out and say this is whats legal, this is what isn't.

04tmeal

12 May 2015
Thought I would update. From 1 November 2016, Cannabidiol seems to be legal in Australia as prescription only or at certain levels for therapeutic use.

Reactions: Victor John