NSW Hearing in Chambers?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Philly2020

27 April 2018
I have a matter in which I am self represented which is set for an in chambers hearing next week.

I am told I am not required to attend.

Can someone please tell me if it is possible for a judge to make final orders (or any orders), at this 'in chambers' hearing? Is that even likely?

It states on the portal it i set for final orders, yet a further date has been given for late June, AFTER this in chamber hearing.

What are in chambers hearing usually even for?

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Hey Philly,

I had some Chambers orders made releasing our Family Report.

I would expect that any Orders made will be procedural ones such as giving you instructions to do things prior to your next hearing in late June, that way you make the most of the June date.

No point the parents rocking up in June and the Court wants you to supply X document and you don't have it with you so you will all have to go away and come back another day.

Not a lawyer so someone will chime in with better info probably.

Tremaine

5 February 2019
I agree with the above, this is probably just to make some procedural orders ahead of your trial in June. The court won’t make final orders in chambers without a trial, unless they’re consent orders.

Migz

20 November 2016
Philly2020, if you haven't been given court orders for the following then it is most likely for that; Chronology, Case Outline, Trial Affidavits, Trial Annexures, Joint Case Summary...