QLD ICL has been changed?!?! Something dodgy going on...

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Migz

20 November 2016
Hi All,

Got a query, I have been advised by the commsportal that the ICL in our case has changed, now, the other ICL hasn't withdrawn/uploaded paperwork to state this, the new ICL has uploaded an address for service.
What is strange is the trial took place 6 weeks ago (thereabouts) and final orders are due next Friday.

There has been no orders/communication from judges chambers regarding this change. Can someone enlighten me as to what is going on? Lets keep in mind that the previous ICL has an Appeal running against her (from an interim hearing) along with a formal complaint.

Can someone give me a run down on what happens at the "handing down of final orders" does this new ICL get to say anything???

Migz

sammy01

27 September 2015
I'm thinking the original ICL was stood down as a result of the complaint. Can't exactly guarantee an unbiased approach if one party has lodge a complaint.

I reckon the orders being handed down is just a formality. I suppose ICL could appeal but I doubt they would. So the new ICL is just a formality.

But I'm guessing?

hshkara

14 July 2019
When the final orders get handed down, none of the parties, including the ICL, get to say anything.

Hard to say why an ICL withdrew and why a new one was appointed given the matter is almost over.

You can read this article on the roles and responsibilities of the independent childrens lawyer.