NSW Harassment from Ex-Boyfriend - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
D

destroale

I sent nude photos to an ex-boyfriend while in a relationship. He then told me if I don't keep sending more, he would forward them onto my partner. He kept sending me texts and snapchats telling me he wanted more photos or he would pass them on.

He made a fake profile account and posted one of the photos onto a website and sent the link to my current partner explaining everything. Even though I was in the wrong at the beginning, can I still report him for harassment? Is he this an offence? How do I deter him from sending more photos to my current boyfriend?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Issue here is part legal and part relationship.

Hopefully you have an understanding boyfriend. Explain you want his help and understanding.

Legally what your ex has done is a crime. Either tell him he will be reported to the police if images are posted anywhere online or report him when you have sufficient evidence.

Take photos/screenshots of all snapchat messages.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Is everybody involved over 18?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
My first response would be to file a misconduct restraining order with the Magistrates Court tomorrow. Then what I would do is wait for it to be served. If he breaches the misconduct restraining order - breach him - if he breaches it three times, he has a mandatory jail sentence - enough to teach him a lesson.

If you don't want to go that way first - get a lawyer (or yourself, of course) to write a letter stating that if they don't stop harassing you or threatening you, you may commence legal proceedings against him.