School Not Allowing Students to Dye Hair - Is This Right?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Katie :)

22 October 2015
At my school in Oxfordshire they have brought in a new rule that everyone's hair has to be a natural color and not died 'extreme', yet someone in my year (year 11) has had their hair bright red and/or purple since year 7. Now my school is saying that her hair is 'distracting' to other students.

So now people in our school are being made to dye their hair so it isn't 'extreme' and if this 'rule' isn't followed we will be sent home until we follow this 'rule'. Should my school be allowed to do this especially as we only have approximately half a year left?

S

Sophea

If it's a private school they can require certain standards of appearance from their students as they have the right to require you to wear a uniform. And if you only have 6 months left, is it that much of a big deal? It doesn't prohibit all dying of hair does it? Just "extreme" colours.

Reactions: Katie :)

22 October 2015
No
If it's a private school they can require certain standards of appearance from their students as they have the right to require you to wear a uniform. And if you only have 6 months left, is it that much of a big deal? It doesn't prohibit all dying of hair does it? Just "extreme" colours.
It's a public school and they are not even allowing things like brown with a tint of red in which I don't understand as that isn't exactly 'extreme' but thanks.

22 October 2015
No

It's a public school and they are not even allowing things like brown with a tint of red in which I don't understand as that isn't exactly 'extreme' but thanks.

Also my hair is close to black with a tint of purple only visable in direct contact with the sun but is still to 'extreme' they are saying only natural colors would you class my hair color as 'extreme'?

Thanks.