QLD Forgot to Mention Call Out Fee to Customer - Must We Refund Under Australian Consumer Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Miko

9 March 2015
We run a local appliance and refrigeration repairs business. We charge customers a standard call out fee, but there's one time I forgot to mention this call out fee to a customer. So I sent the technician there to fix a stove. We inspect and diagnose the problems for the customer. We told the customer, but he said he wouldn't be able to make the decision as he needed to wait for his dad to make it. He paid the call out fee and we hand them a receipt and he signed the receipt too.

Then later that night, his dad called me and tells me because we didn't mention about this call out fee, he wants to get all the money refunded and I told him we can't and he said then at least half of the money refund. He said because I didn't mention about this call out fee so its our company's fault and he wants his money back. I told him our technician was there to help you diagnose the problem and you have to pay us. He said if I don't pay him he is going to ask a lawyer to sue me under Australian Consumer Law. I'm just really worry about it. I need help.

S

Sophea

I don't know of any consumer law provision that requires you to warn clients of a call out fee. (Obviously it prevents this sort of thing though so I would encourage you to continue doing it as is your usual practice.) It is not out of the ordinary in your line of work and is not an unexpected term of your engagement.

Reactions: DennisD