NSW Fine for Uninsured Car which was paid but Car was Unregistered when booked

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Concomitant

4 April 2020
Hi,
I was pulled over for driving unregistered car in Dec as I had completely forgotten to renew it even though I had already renewed CTP and also got the Comprehensive but still genuinely forgot to renew the rego for which I got 2 fines, one for driving unregistered vehicle and another for the car being uninsured even though i had paid for it but it doesnt get active as the was not registered.
I actually renewed the rego in front of the officer in less than a minute.
I have a clean driving history and have never got any fines. I did request for renew but they just came back with their standard reply. I paid the fine for driving unregistered car and still have the fine for car not being insured.
Do you think going to court will help as I had renewed CTP and Comprehensive but forgot to renew the rego otherwise why will i spend over $1700 which is for the car and not renew rego?
Thank you in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Do you think going to court will help as I had renewed CTP and Comprehensive but forgot to renew the rego otherwise why will i spend over $1700 which is for the car and not renew rego?
If you are still within time, then you have the option to court-elect the infringement,
but what grounds for leniency do you have, that is more and better than than "Oops, I forgot"?

Understand that If the court does not decide to waive the fine,
then you face not only the fine, but also an additional amount for court costs.

Concomitant

4 April 2020
If you are still within time, then you have the option to court-elect the infringement,
but what grounds for leniency do you have, that is more and better than than "Oops, I forgot"?

Understand that If the court does not decide to waive the fine,
then you face not only the fine, but also an additional amount for court costs.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your reply.
I do not really have a specific reason as I really genuinely forgot to renew the rego otherwise I why I renew the CTP and Comprehensive.
My only reason requesting for leniency is:
1. genuinely forgetting to renew the rego even after renewing the CTP and Comprehensive.
2. this being my first fine, having a clean history, good character...
3. paid 1st fine for driving unregistered car but I had already renewed CTP
4. Now i do understand the consequences of driving unregistered and uninsured vehcile and will never happen again as I have learnt the hard way.

Do you still think I might be considered or given a chance?

Thanks again in advance.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Your chances of having it dismissed?
Not really possible to speculate.

While it is your right to court-elect the infringement (subject to time limits to do so),
my usual advice to people with traffic infringements
(especially where them having committed the offence alleged is not in question)
is to just pay the fine and move on with your life.

Concomitant

4 April 2020
Your chances of having it dismissed?
Not really possible to speculate.

While it is your right to court-elect the infringement (subject to time limits to do so),
my usual advice to people with traffic infringements
(especially where them having committed the offence alleged is not in question)
is to just pay the fine and move on with your life.

Ok, many thanks Tim for your advice and time! I might just pay it off and move on.