FalseStatement common assault DV T2 case

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Kitana

18 June 2019
I had an altercation with my ex partner last year. We had a fight and I stormed out and reached out to the police. They took a report from me which frankly I did not understand that it means the matter will be out of my hands and me not wanting to press charges will not mean anything. I was distraught and upset and unfortunately their explanations were unclear to me.
I explained that there was an altercation, my ex partner had thrown a punch towards my head, and had broken my laptop as well as my phone. Afterwards, we returned to my home where my ex partner was taken to the police station. I said I did not intend to press charges and that was when I was advised that I lost that privilege during the time I was at the police station. My ex partner was taken to court and charged with 1 count of common assault dv t2 and 2 counts of destroying or damaging property.

I am seeking advice and help as the physical altercation that was mentioned did not actually occur and I had given a false statement. My laptop and phone were broken in fact and that was when I stormed out. My ex partner had pleaded guilty and had not argued the statement for whatever reason. I am left with a deep guilt and wish to do right by this person and would like to know what will happen if I come forward with this and how do I come forward with it?