NSW Executive Director Status?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Edward

6 October 2014
If company directors work in the business day-to-day, under the CEO and without any defined management duties, do they, under commercial law, necessarily have 'executive' status just because they work at there?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No.

Executive in charge of what? Without defined duties or an assigned role it would be hard to make that claim. Example: In small/medium family businesses, the PA (or office cleaner) could also be a director but not an executive.

Not enough detail to know how to properly answer your question. Sounds like a clash of wills is occurring.

Edward

6 October 2014
Thank you very much for your reply. I thought as much, but didn't know who to ask.

I'm actually trying to establish a standard for the duty of care and therefore distinguishing between executive and non-executive directors. You wouldn't happen to have a case or something I can point to to reinforce that claim. Or would this be taken for granted?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Sorry, no references.