VIC Company Directors and Shareholder Voting Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
25 March 2015
Ferntree Gully
We are a small Victorian based business with 4 employees. Myself and 1 of the employees are also company directors. A 3rd party, based in the USA, is also a director. He does not earn any wages from the business.

The business shares were purchased 20 months ago from the previous owner. The previous owner was paid $250,000 in total, $50,000 from each of the employees, $150,000 from the USA director.
The 2 employees own 20% each of the shares, sold for $1.00 each, so the employees hold 40% of the shares in the business. The 3rd party owns 60% of the shares, sold for $1.00 each

I am the "Managing Director", and the Secretary of the business. Under commercial law, what are the voting rights of the Directors? Are they equally split (3 directors = 3 votes) or does the volume of shares owned determine the voting rights? (e.g. USA director has 60% of the vote, each of the other directors have 20% of the vote.)

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Check your company constitution.

Directors must represent all shareholders and generally have 1 vote each. Sometimes the chairman has an additional casting vote.

Shareholders, assuming there are no special classes of shares, can either have 1 vote/block of shares in a show of hands, or 1 vote per share in a poll. Check your constitution.

DennisD

11 July 2014
In principle, company directors are accountable to its owners, its shareholders. Voting rights, including for example how many votes are required to carry different decisions/resolutions, should be set out in your company constitution, and perhaps complementary docs such as a shareholders agreement. I agree with Rod, please check your constitution and connected documents.