QLD Ex Making Demands Before Signing Passport Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Liz zipp

17 October 2017
I have sent a passport application for our son to his father for a signiture with a polite letter stating he has 14 days to sign and return, in the post paid envelope I suplied (as told by legal aid).

He has had no actual contact with his son in 12 months and only the occasional phone call. He has contacted me stating he will only sign the application if I bring our son down to SA once a year, and I tell him where we are going and when.

He also wants a letter from a solicitor stating he will be coming back, all thos before he signs.

Does anyone know if he can make demands like this?

Migz

20 November 2016
He sure can make those "requests" he can also make you pay a fairly large bond in the vicinity of $5,000 to $15,000 for the safe return of his son back into Australia by a set date, or you forfeit the bond to the father, so that he can start the legal process of getting his son back into the country.
It is normal for you to supply an itinerary of travel, along with travel insurance for the child, along with return tickets, and a point of contact whilst you are overseas. And should you be travelling to a country not in the Hague Treaty then the father has every right to deny his sons travel out of the country all together.

But hey take it to a Federal Circuit Court and see how you get on, who knows the judge might not require any of the above and sign the passport for you inplace of the father. Its been known to happen, but first you will have to complete mediation and then wait 3 to 6 months for your day in court.

Welcome to "THE SYSTEM"...

AllForHer

23 July 2014
He can make demands like that, because you can't take his kid out of the country without his consent.