NSW Employment Law - Paid Suspension Without Reason?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Manager

6 February 2018
I need help, please, on workplace suspension. I am a manager in full time employment and I received a phone call stating I was on paid suspension. When I asked why, I was given no reason and told an investigation was taking place. Is this even legal under employment law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Get something in writing. You may have an action, but depends on what they say and do. Maybe suggest you'll take holidays and see what they say.

Manager

6 February 2018
Thank you. For now I will sit tight and wait for the outcome. Just wish I knew what it is I’ve supposed to have done.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yep, uncertainty is hard to deal with. But you should at least query the suspension via email to confirm validity of the call. You don't want them deny call was made and sacking you for non-attendance.

If it extends more than a couple of weeks might be time to update the resume and send it out to a few places.

FaithNoMore

29 June 2016
Thank you. For now I will sit tight and weight for the outcome. Just wish I knew what it is I’ve supposed to of done

Personally I think that's the worst thing to do. Advising you this by phone is not good process, you need it in writing.

Request this or request a meeting to discuss.

Manager

6 February 2018
Thank you very much. This website has helped tremendously. I was fortunate to find a lovely solicitor who is now helping me