TAS Employment Law on Unpaid Overtime on Full Time Salary?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Our posts crossed, just saw your second post.

If the $2.5 k is pay in lieu of notice that may be OK, but make sure you do not sign anything or agree to anything beyond pay in lieu of notice period else kiss goodbye to the overtime money.

D

Deleted member 17143

Our posts crossed, just saw your second post.

If the $2.5 k is pay in lieu of notice that may be OK, but make sure you do not sign anything or agree to anything beyond pay in lieu of notice period else kiss goodbye to the overtime money.
no

D

Deleted member 17143

the ec gratia is a 'gift' for my hard work I assume. Payment in lieu of notice is separate amount.

I have stated to the employer that I would like to be paid for 1000hrs overtime.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
So $2.5K for 1000 hrs = $2.5 / hr. Up to you. I wouldn't take it.

D

Deleted member 17143

thank you for your advice I have written to them to say i do not accept ex gratis. That I need to be paid for my hours and hard work

D

Deleted member 17143

does standing up to an employer for this affect my career in Australia? Surely it is only fair that a worker Is paid for work done.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Yes and yes.

Sometimes life has a way of biting back when you least expect it.

D

Deleted member 17143

Thank you
How would I go about trying to get employer to pay the unpaid overtime?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
Document it, send in a letter for payment of $yyy within x days. Not shorter than your pay period, but no more than 30 days. NB: Overtime normally doesn't attract Super.

D

Deleted member 17143

"make sure you do not sign anything or agree to anything beyond pay in lieu of notice period"
If I accept time off in lieu does that mean accepting the offer?
The employer seems to think I I part of the offer for my overtime.
Also, the employer said that they were unaware of the long hours I was doing despite telling me on a few occasions I need to watch out I don't burn out!
They say that as I have not said I don't want to work long hours and as they did not tell me to, it is my problem. Despite putting me under duress and deadlines to complete mammoth tasks on my own.