VIC Employment Contract - What Does Reasonable Overtime Entail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 September 2016
Hello there!

I've recently acquired a new full time job under a 38-hour employment contract - with a reasonable overtime clause. I am a little confused as to what this entails. I have been advised by my employer that I should be working and 8-hour day - 40 hours a week to account for 'reasonable overtime' as my standard day - regardless of workload.

However, my understanding of the requirement of reasonable overtime was to work a standard 7.6 hours per day and to occasional weeks of additional hours during times of high workloads. If anyone has any clear fact sheet re: reasonable overtime under employment law, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Can't point to any specific fact sheets but my understanding, which could be wrong, is that overtime should be the exception, not the rule.

If the employer is treating it as a rule then it becomes unreasonable and should be part of standard conditions.

12 September 2016
It's retail/design industry. My meeting with HR to discuss it outlined the definition of 'reasonable overtime' according to their understanding meant my 38 hours plus overtime meant a strict 40 hour week/8 hour day, and would sometimes mean more than that.

Overtime is not uncommon in a design environment, but I've never had it enforced as a daily expectation / strict hours. I am concerned that this enforced overtime on top of the need of legitimate overtime.

Matthew Lynch

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 July 2016
Sydney
lawtap.com
You are definitely in the danger zone of reasonable overtime. An extra two hours a week on top of a 38 hour week is likely to be reasonable if it is common in your industry to have some overtime. Having more overtime on top of that seems unreasonable.

I would email them about it and ask them to put down their policy in writing.

12 September 2016
I did ask for documentation that outlined this in my meeting but was confronted with the response "why do you need it in writing?" And a basic refusal/statement that they didn't have it. As I am new to the business, I'm afraid prying much further will lose my job, though I'm not sure it's worth keeping at this rate.