QLD Employment Law - Is Sudden Change of Duties Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sharynmarie

18 January 2017
Hi,

I began work with a company 6 months ago and was provided a role description and title. 4 months ago I was told I would be on a project which is not related to my role and subsequently have not been performing my role for the last 4 months, instead doing tasks that I am not trained nor qualified in.

The project is an ongoing one with no set finish date and due to a change in management I have been told it's unlikely I will return to my previous position.

I have asked management multiple times for a finish date for the project, even a new position description / title however got nowhere. I escalated a complaint to HR and the outcome said that I'm doing a secondment on a tempoary project which is reasonable management action.

I am wondering if it is legal for them under employment law to completely change someone's duties for an extended period with no consultation, outline of the role, etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Does your employment contract contain the phrase "or other duties as directed"?

What were you told about the new role before you agreed to it and started it? eg pay, duties, length of time?

What you do next depends on what you prefer happens, keeping in mind job security, promotional prospects etc.

What is your preferred outcome? Going back to old job, redundancy, more pay, promotion, other?