NSW Elderly Stepfather with advanced Parkinsons wants to move a international person in to live with him - how do I protect myself

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hamo

30 January 2024
Over 20 years ago we allowed my mum and her Partner to live in a nice property of ours in outer western Sydney for $500 a month rent. Around 10 years ago they legally separated, but both stayed in the property in separate rooms. 5 years ago my mum died, and in good faith we allowed her ex partner to stay and still pay the $500 a month (of which he claims rental assistance so it costs him around $100 pcm.

His health has declined badly with him having advanced Parkinsons, and he is now at a stage where he most likely will need full time care and may need to go to a nursing home,but prior to this he wants to move a female from overseas to live with him in the house. He refuses to tell her that the house is not his, so we are unsure as to her expectation. He wants her to live there free of charge (i.e. she does not have to pay a cent for being there)

What we are trying to find out is what is the best way to protect ourselves if this happens. We are happy for him to stay in the house for as long as he can, and we are happy with him paying us just the $500 per month - but we want to ensure that when he can no longer live there due to his illness that we can also remove his female friend from the house quickly.

Is there a legal document we can make her sign if she moves in that can have us quickly remove her from the house when he is no longer there (like 30 days). If not what is the best process we need to prepare for if it happens?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes - get in contact with @Tim W