QLD Does overtime need to be negotiated?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Adam1user

5 January 2018
Thanks Adam. My background too is in Sydney, most recently as Admin Manager for a Group of ASX Listed Companies. I think that is why I am soooo frustrated. I can't believe what the regional companies get away with.

I am, however, still interested in an answer to the original question. There is nothing in the letter of offer, nor the induction/policy papers signed on accepting the position. Which leaves it up to the "legal" position. Are they allowed to do this??
Hi,
I think you will find your answer in the award that you fall under, once you find out which award the company implements, then it will state the overtime and other working requirements, so hopefully this will direct you to where to find an answer. Good luck

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are they allowed to do this??

You need to look at your contract/award or EA to see what are your rights wrt to overtime. If you are on the Clerks Award you are entitled to overtime. Keep a record of your timesheets in case you need to 'return their attitude' in kind.

At a practical level if the phone rings just prior to COB take a message and say someone will call back tomorrow.

And yes, it is the conscientious workers who are troubled. People who don't care just leave on time.