VIC Deed of release sexual abuse Catholic Church

Discussion in 'Personal Injury Law Forum' started by MartyJ, 9 August 2017.

1. Melly

Melly Member

Hi there

Was just wondering. If you have signed a deed of release and the other party eg. catholic church just say ' lied and mislead survivors' by saying they had no funding when in actual fact they did because they got caught lying about assets etc.
    Have they broken their contract with me or other survivors?
    Would be good if you can share your thoughts on this.
    Hope i made sense.

Cheers

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member
    LawTap Verified

You should look at the results of the recent Royal Commission and see what they said about these deeds of release.

I know they covered the releases in their report but don't know the substance of the report.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Melly

Melly Member

Thanks Rod
    If it was common sense based approach in regards to church lying, I would think that is a fair enough reason to break mine. They have now changed the laws so that you can sue the church. It's just a shame so many of us were forced to sign before the Royal Commission had finished!
    I will look into this.

Thanks

Linda01 likes this.
  4. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified

Don't trouble yourself.
    I don't see any court upholding an agreement,
    the operative effect of which is,
    to conceal one or more serious offences.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Linda01

Linda01 Member

Hi MartyJ,
    I may be able to assist you with this issue, new amendments have been made to legislation regarding this area of historical child abuse. In 2018 I personally prepared over 150 claims for people like yourself.
    If you are still on this forum or receiving messages feel free to reply and let me know if you still require assistance.