VIC Deceased Estate Distribution - All Release Forms Need to be Signed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Shall

13 January 2016
Wondering if after a deceased estate has been finalised and all beneficiaries have received notification and if all release forms from all beneficiaries need to be returned to the solicitor before cheque are written.

I have signed and returned mine but have been told that all the other beneficiaries need to do this before I can be given a cheque.

As there are 16 of us involved and some are interstate, I am wondering if this is right and they need every signed form back before funds can be distributed.

Jacqui Brauman

15 January 2016
Victoria
www.tbalaw.com.au
Hi Shall. If the estate is being distributed early, then all the release forms do need to be signed by every beneficiary. If the time limits for the executor's liability have expired (these time periods vary depending on your State), then the distribution can generally be made with only the executor's direction.

Shall

13 January 2016
The time limit has passed and all money is ready to be distributed.

The solicitor dealing with the estate has said all forms must be signed and returned before any cheque scan be made out. As there are over 20 of us involved and all from various parts of Australia, this may take some time.

Just wondering if it was a legal requirement.

Thanks for the answer.