WA COVID-19 role change, jobkeeper and redundancy

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LouLou23

23 July 2018
Hi.
I am currently on JobKeeper since mid April when my employer advised of a downturn in sales. At the same time, my employer changed my role and hours of work e.g. no longer a sales person working 37.5hrs, I am now a store person working 15 hrs. They even gave me a new position description to go with the role change. I have been advised today that sales have improved but my pre-COVID19 role of sales person is no longer available as the company has hired someone else to do that job 37.5 hrs a week while I am still a store person working only 15 hrs a week.
I have also been told today that if sales do not improve further by the end of September when JobKeeper is due to expire, then there is no position for me. They will be keeping the other person they just employed as a sales person instead of me returning to my previous role.
Other than look for another job I'm not sure what I can do here.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks
LouLou

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I do not practise in WA. If you are covered by the Fair Work Act, then you will likely have a claim against your employer.

LouLou23

23 July 2018
Rod, thank you so much for responding.
I have today sought legal advice and have received a similar response. I shall post the outcome here for the community.
Cheers.
L